On August 19, 2020, Orange County’s Planning Commission (PC) held a meeting to discuss two items:
1) Preliminary Plat Review – Winterberry Creek/Garrett Street LLC (100+ Housing Subdivision)
- Tabled until September 3 PC public meeting
- PC raised numerous concerns/questions regarding the applicant’s four (4) requested zoning ordinance waivers for road standards
- The county attorney has been tasked to determine the legality of granting waivers for hardships to a developer that purchased property with the sole intent of development.
2) Orange County (RV) Resort LLC Special Use Permit (SU 20-02)
- PC Recommended Denial to the Board of Supervisors (BOS)
- County staff and PC stated that the application was unfinished; however, prior to the public hearing and contrary to staff’s recommendation, the applicant requested that the SUP be voted upon during the meeting.
- PC stated multiple issues with the SUP, including:
- Non-conforming land uses in the Agricultural Zoning District (e.g., fueling station, retail store (>4,000 square feet));
- Dangerous traffic conditions; and
- Lack of clarity related to the sale/lease of RV lots, water/sewer schematics, and environmental mitigation.
Additionally, due to the recent lack of succinct, complete applications for land use business (including the above), the Planning Commission has decided to hold a work session in the near future to discuss the general organizational structure of the Planning Commission, including:
- Notifying the Planning Commission of zoning ordinance waiver requests;
- Developing a county-wide complaint system and process, to better manage/inventory community complaints related to specific properties and land uses
- Requiring public comments include: full name, address, group affiliation (if any), and locality of residency
- County planning department staff utilizing an incomplete stamp to mark land use applications that are inadequate
- Establishing deadlines for land use application submittals, in order to prevent last second submittals prior to a public meeting.
At the upcoming meeting on September 3, 2020, the Planning Commission is expected to discuss:
- Preliminary Plat Review – Winterberry Creek/Garrett Street LLC
- Mid Atlantic Pyrotechnic Arts Guild (MAPAG) – Fireworks Testing/Manufacturing SUP
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at any time.
Field Representative – Culpeper, Madison and Orange
The Piedmont Environmental Council
540-347-2334 ext. 7047