Location: PEC’s Headquarters in Warrenton, Virginia*
*PEC staff are currently working from home due to Covid-19
Supervisor: Communications Manager
Job Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC works with residents to weigh in on important land use and policy decisions, conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks, promote sustainable energy choices, restore wildlife habitat and improve people’s access to nature.
Description of Position
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is seeking to hire a communications specialist to promote PEC’s mission and programs through a mix of online and offline means. The communications specialist will work with the rest of the communications team to advance the following goals:
- Building a network of reliable activists, donors and members;
- Influencing decision-makers to reach better outcomes;
- Increasing positive awareness of PEC and building support for PEC programs;
- Changing behavior and fostering an ethic of good stewardship.
Areas of Responsibility
The communications specialist will report to PEC’s communications manager and be responsible for a mix of the functions outlined below:
- Write, edit and develop engaging content for print and online.
- Promote PEC content through email, social media and in-person events/networking.
- Collaborate with PEC staff to develop and launch relevant messaging and advocacy campaigns, as well as fundraising appeals.
- Take photos of PEC geographies, events, projects, field work, supporters, etc.
- Design and produce marketing/promotional materials.
- Respond to public questions and information requests via email, phone and social media.
- Assist staff with the development of presentations for meetings and public outreach events.
- Assist with PEC events and field projects as necessary.
Outstanding candidates will share a commitment to PEC’s mission and will bring the following experience and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years related work experience or equivalent;
- Demonstrated communications and storytelling skills, both written and oral, including the ability to write, edit and proof written materials;
- Proficiency with Adobe design products like Photoshop and InDesign;
- Experience with photography/videography a plus;
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic HTML is a plus;
- Experience working with website Content Management Systems like WordPress;
- Familiarity with CRM databases such as Raiser’s Edge, EveryAction, SalesForce, etc;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and G Suite (Google Apps);
- Experience using social media as an outreach tool;
- Ability to organize, coordinate and manage diverse activities and deadlines;
- Experience in campaigning, organizing or advocacy preferred;
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings;
- Dedication to PEC’s mission of smart growth, conservation, and restoration;
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required, as this position requires travel to locations and events throughout PEC’s 9-county region;
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
Salary range: $40,000-$50,000 depending on qualifications and experience.
PEC offers an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, short and long term disability and term life insurance, a 403 (b) employee pension plan, HSA and FSA options and some employer-paid additional supplemental insurance benefits including accident, critical illness and hospital indemnity. Upon employment, you will be entitled to paid holidays and will begin accruing personal leave as designated in the PEC Employee Handbook. PEC also offers employees 8 hrs of leave per year to perform volunteer work.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The initial deadline for receipt of applications is April 15, 2021. However, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Piedmont Environmental Council is an equal opportunity employer.