Gifts of Assets

Gift of Cash

If you want to help The Piedmont Environmental Council today and maximize your charitable deduction, consider making your gift with cash. Cash is the simplest asset to donate, and also the easiest for us to accept and quickly put to good use.

Make your cash gift online, via a check or money order, PayPal, a credit card or a wire transfer. Mailed donations can be sent directly to PO Box 460, Warrenton, VA 20188.

Wire Transfer

The Piedmont Environmental Council accepts donations via ACH and wire transfer. Account#: 1470021464503 Routing/ABA#: 051404260. Please follow up on an ACH by contacting Kendra Atkins at or 540.347.2334 ext. 7005 so that we know who has donated!

Donor Advised Funds (DAF)

PEC is happy to accept contributions from donor-advised funds. These funds are created with a financial institution and allow the donor to receive an immediate charitable tax deduction when the fund is established. Subsequent contributions to qualified charities can then be made from this fund.

Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCD) from your IRA

For those 70 1⁄2 or older, a QCD is a direct transfer of funds from your IRA custodian, payable to a qualified charity. QCDs can be counted toward satisfying your required minimum distributions (RMDs) for the year, as long as certain rules are met. When you make this direct distribution to a nonprofit like PEC, it’s not included in your taxable income.

Appreciated Stocks and Securities

Donating appreciated stocks, bonds or mutual funds is quick and simple and may provide you with significant tax benefits. When you give appreciated securities, you may receive an immediate tax deduction and savings on capital gains taxes. 


  • You receive gift credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
  • You pay no capital gains tax on the securities you donate.
  • You can direct your gift to a specific fund or purpose.

How to contribute gifts of securities

When giving securities, be sure to consult with your financial advisors. Let us know that the gift is coming, and what program or specific fund you would like us to apply it to. Contact us for detailed instructions: or 540-347-2334. 

Securities held by your broker

Inform your broker in writing that you wish to give appreciated securities to The Piedmont Environmental Council. Be sure to let the broker know when you’d like the transfer made. 

Certificates held by you

If you hold the actual stock certificates, you will need to sign a stock power form for each certificate you contribute. You may obtain a stock power from any broker or financial institution. When you sign the power, be sure to sign your name precisely as it appears on the certificate. For example, if you are listed as John P. Smith on the certificate, sign it John P. Smith.

Please note: Many financial institutions do not provide complete donor information when sending a contribution so we ask that you let our Advancement Assistant Kendra Atkins know via email at, or call (540) 347-2334 ext. 7005 so that we can properly acknowledge your gift and make sure it is allocated according to your instructions.