* The 2021 program dates are June 7, 2021 – July 23, 2021. The application link is now live at the bottom of this page. Read more apply by Tuesday, February 23.
The program is designed for undergraduates and recent graduates (including current graduate students) interested in careers in environmental stewardship, land conservation, historic preservation, community planning, agriculture, and other related fields. Applicants in the past have represented a variety of courses of study, including environmental science, environmental policy, government, economics, human & environmental relations, history, religion, anthropology, sociology, geography, urban planning, international studies, American studies, and many more.
Applicants that are currently enrolled in school should have completed at least two years of undergraduate work by the start of the program. Only US citizens or those on a path to citizenship are eligible.
Applicants that are accepted to the program are required to participate in all aspects of it, and should not make any other professional or personal commitments during the program that would prohibit full participation.
Applicants need access to a car during the Fellowship and be able to provide their own transportation to and from classroom sessions (there is no public transportation in Warrenton and ride-sharing options are limited). PEC will provide transportation for field trips and other Fellowship related activities. *The transportation requirement will be waived for the 2021 program, as all programming will be conducted remotely.
There are a number of items you will need to complete the application – so please allow yourself adequate time to prepare all of the required information. Ideally you will have everything ready when you begin the online application, however, our online system will allow you to begin the process and come back to it later if necessary.
All application materials must be submitted by the appointed date for full consideration. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Aside from your personal contact and academic information here are some of the things you’ll need to complete the application. For the essays, you might find it easier to write them in advance, and then cut & paste them into the form.
- Your resume and cover letter (a word or pdf document that you will upload)
- Contact info for 2 references one academic and one general. Please provide a name and email address for each reference. References may be contacted during the selection process for a brief conversation about your suitability for the program, no written materials will be requested.
- One short essay response of 150 words or less to the following question (which you will type/paste directly into the form): Imagine yourself ten years from today… What kind of job do you have? Where do you live and what groups and activities are you involved with? What experiences have you had?
- One long essay response of 500 words. Please choose one of the following quotes and write a reflection addressing the sentiment of the quote as applied to environmental stewardship and community action at a local and national level. Elaborate upon the meaning of the quote as it relates to the mission of The Piedmont Environmental Council.
“The environment is where we all meet; where all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.” ~Lady Bird Johnson
“We all came in different ships, but we’re in the SAME BOAT NOW.” -John Lewis
“The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes” ~Marcel Proust, Remembrance of Things Past
“Places matter. Their rules, their scale, their design include or exclude civil society, pedestrianism, equality, diversity (economic and otherwise), understanding of where water comes from and garbage goes, consumption or conservation. They map our lives.” ~Rebecca Solnit, Storming the Gates of Paradise: Landscapes for Politics
The deadline to apply for the 2021 program is Tuesday, February 23, 2021. View the online application form.
If you have additional questions about the Fellowship, please be sure to review all of the information about the program at www.pecva.org/fellowship. If you did not find what you are looking for, please contact email@example.com with any questions.