We are happy to be hosting this petition, created by Aldie Heritage Association, in support of a smart and needed local transportation improvement. We hope you'll sign on! Take Action >>
Needed transportation improvements take time to be planned for, budgeted for and implemented. So I join with other residents in asking Loudoun County and VDOT to proceed towards implementation of a roundabout at the intersection of Rt. 50 and Lenah Road for the following reasons:
- Due to the level of traffic, the existing stop sign at the intersection of Lenah Road and Rt. 50 creates a traffic hazard and accidents occur there regularly, particularly for drivers turning left to and from Rt. 50.
- Drivers turning at the intersection often have long waits or must act quickly to get across the intersection.
- Traffic on Lenah Road will get heavier as more development in the area occurs, creating an even bigger traffic problem in the future.
- A traffic light at this intersection would stop traffic flow, cause back-ups, and negate the benefits of the roundabouts further west, particularly during rush hours.
- A roundabout would immediately improve traffic and stay in keeping with the character of the area.
- A conceptual design already exists for a roundabout in this location. It was developed during the planning phase of the Rt 50 calming project, but was not included at that time due to a lack of funding.
- The Loudoun Board of Supervisors recently worked with VDOT to pay for and install a roundabout in Fairfax County to help solve Loudoun traffic problems.
- In order to qualify for funding and construction, a roundabout first needs to be included in the Countywide Transportation Plan and then prioritized.
Please move swiftly to address this increasingly dangerous intersection and keep traffic flowing smoothly.