The Piedmont Environmental Council began accepting nominations for its first School & Community Garden Awards last spring. The purpose of this friendly competition was to recognize gardens that celebrate the relationship between nature, food and community by awarding six school or community gardens with cash awards -- three $300 awards and three $500 awards.
For a garden to be eligible for an award, it had to be located in PEC’s working area; it needed to be active during the 2012 growing season; and it had to be a community effort. The ideal PEC was looking for was gardens that grew edible plants, provided pollinator plants and other wildlife habitat, and featured native plants.
The contest closed in November, and PEC had 22 amazing entries representing gardens from communities across the organization’s nine-county region. PEC’s staff found reviewing the all of the applications delightful, but selecting the winners was very difficult due to the quality and variety of the nominations.
Congratulations to our six 2012 School and Community Garden Awards winners!
|City Schoolyard Garden at Buford Middle School, Charlottesville||Auburn Middle School Farm 2 Table, Fauquier||Culpeper Community Garden at CFC Farm and Home Store, Culpeper|
$300 Award Winners
|Rappahannock Elementary School Farm-to-Table, Rappahannock||Madison Community Garden & School Pizza Garden, Madison||PATCH Community Garden at The Haven, Charlottesville|
We would also like to acknowledge all of the school and community gardens who sent in applications:
- Shining Star Pre-School Garden, Charlottesville
- Chancellor Street Preschool Co-op Gardens, Charlottesville
- Mill Run Elementary School Outdoor Classroom, Loudoun
- Purcellville Community Garden, Loudoun
- Schoolyard Garden at Greenbriar Elementary, Charlottesville
- Stony Point Elementary School Gardens, Albemarle
- Minor Hill Townhouse HOA Community Gardens, Charlottesville
- Mountaintop Montessori School Garden, Charlottesville
- Mountainside Montessori School Garden, Fauquier
- North Branch School Gardens, Nelson
- Sycamore Park Elementary 4-H FNP Nutrition Garden, Culpeper
- Mountain Laurel Montessori Farm School Gardens, Rappahannock
- W.G. Coleman Garden of Hope, Fauquier
- Blandy Community Farm, Loudoun
- 4-H Fox's Garden, Culpeper
- Dominion Trail Elementary Woolly School Garden, Loudoun
We hope that gardens will reach out and connect with each other--and even work together--to share experiences and resources. Remember to check back next year for our 2013 School and Community Garden Awards!