Does your school have a garden? Do you know of a fun community garden? Help The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) recognize community and school gardens throughout the northern Piedmont by letting us know about great community or school gardens in your area. The purpose of this friendly competition is to recognize gardens that celebrate the relationship between nature, food and community, by awarding six currently active school and/or community gardens with cash awards. PEC will make up to three $300 awards and up to three $500 awards.
PEC believes that gardens:
- Are special places for building local community and improving individual health
- Are important places to learn how food grows
- Are perfect places for learning and teaching math and science
- Help people relate to the natural environment
- Garden may be new, or an existing, long standing feature in your school or community
- Garden must be active sometime during the 2013 growing season
- Garden must be located in one of the nine PEC counties: Albemarle County, Clarke County, Culpeper County, Fauquier County, Greene County, Loudoun County, Madison County, Orange County, & Rappahannock County
- Garden should be a community effort, not an individual’s home/personal garden
- Grow edible plants
- Provide pollinator and other beneficial wildlife habitat
- Include native plants (and limit invasive non-native plants).
- Provide a natural space for community interaction
- Foster community empowerment or education
- This is NOT A GRANT to start a garden.
- Nominated gardens should not be private home gardens or commercial farms -- our intention is to honor community or school gardens that are tended by multiple people.
- Anyone can nominate a garden, nominators do not have to be directly related to the garden.
- Preference will be given to applicants who were not 2012 winners.
How to Enter
- Nominate a garden by filling out an Entry Form
- Attach 2 to 10 photos of the garden - at least one photo should illustrate community or student involvement.
- Early nominations for spring and summer gardens are encouraged.
- Don’t forget to enter - Nominate your garden as you wrap up your gardening season!
- Final Deadline for Submission: Our next contest will be in 2015.
See our 6 winners from last year >>