The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) was founded in 1972 with the purpose of preserving important attributes of the Northern Piedmont region of Virginia. Those key attributes are the open spaces, natural viewsheds, historic features, agricultural activity and the clean air and water that make living, working and visiting the region so special. Protecting these attributes, while recognizing the importance of economic vitality, has always been, and remains our core organizational goal.
Description of Position
The Agriculture and Rural Economy Program Manager will report to the Vice President for Conservation and Rural Programs and will oversee our efforts on programs in support of the rural and agricultural economy of the region. PEC’s Agriculture and Rural Economy program integrates our work with new and beginning farmers, established farming operations, connections between producers and consumers, and our broad conservation mission. The position will be based at PEC’s main office in Warrenton, Virginia, but will include travel throughout our nine county region.
Areas of Responsibility
- Manage outreach, education and coordination of pasture and forage-based programming;
- Develop and continue efforts to assist the next generation of farmers in getting started in a successful farming business;
- Manage ongoing Buy Fresh, Buy Local activities, including direct supervision of staff
- Market and improve PEC’s Farmer-Chef Express online as a means to expand the market for local food
- Represent PEC and the Piedmont with a variety of partners, communities and funders
- Advocate for legislation and regulations at the county, state and national levels that will positively affect the Piedmont’s farming and rural communities.
- Develop programs that increase the connections between the land and the people living in the Piedmont.
- Work with PEC staff and board to develop new programs as appropriate.
- Masters degree or equivalent experience in agriculture, food systems and/or rural economic development.
- Experience working with pasture based farming systems is preferred.
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people and lead collaborative discussions.
- Enthusiasm for the broad mission of PEC is required.
- Experience managing projects and staff.
- Experience drafting successful grant applications.
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and oral, including ability to write, edit, and proofread written materials for use internally and externally.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft word processing, Google Apps, database management, and spreadsheet software preferred
- Strong familiarity with land conservation and land use principles preferred
Salary commensurate with experience
In addition to your salary, you will be eligible to participate in health, disability, term life insurance benefits and a 403 (b) employee retirement plan. Upon employment, you will be entitled to paid holidays and will begin accruing personal leave as designated in the PEC Employee Handbook.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to:
Piedmont Environmental Council
45 Horner Street, Warrenton, VA 20186.
Please use the subject line: Ag & Rural Economy Program Job Application
The Piedmont Environmental Council is an equal opportunity employer.